Book digitized by Google from the library of Harvard University and uploaded to the Internet Archive by user tpb.
Title from caption
Merged with: Emerson's United States magazine, to form: Emerson's magazine and Putnam's monthly
Established by Geo. P. Putnam, with the assistance of Geo. Wm. Curtis and others. Mr. Putnam's connection with the first series ceased in 1855. In Oct. 1857 this series was merged into "Emerson's United States magazine," which was continued as "Emerson's magazine and Putnam's monthly," and ceased publication with Nov. 1858. (Through June 1858 there were some numbers of "Emerson's magazine" issued with cover-title: "Putnam's magazine," v. 11) Fashioned after Blackwood's, Putnam's Magazine was the lively endeavor of Charles Briggs and George William Curtis. The contributions, although unsigned, came from the best American pens, Horace Greeley, Parke Goodwin, James Fenimore Cooper, Henry Thoreau, Richard Henry Stoddard, and a great number of others filled the columns with political spice and literary excellence. Always in financial difficulty, the magazine was suspended for a decade.